- This feature is included in Vortex® Studio Academic edition for non-commercial use only. Please see Feature Set Comparison for more information.
In Vortex, a vehicle is a mechanism containing a chassis and wheels which are created by importing a 3D model of the vehicle and creating a chassis part. Where the vehicle mechanism differs from other mechanisms is that there is a whole dynamics component defined through the Vehicle Systems Add-on which allows you to set up and configure a special preset that represents a vehicle's powertrain and creates wheel parts for the mechanism.
- Before proceeding with any of the instructions in this section, you should have already imported a 3D model and built a chassis Part from it. Then you can follow the instructions for adding one of the powertrain presets to an existing vehicle mechanism. Once the powertrain is connected to the vehicle mechanism, you can adjust the preset parameters to customize how it behaves when simulating a vehicle.
The presets that are available offer a choice of heavy industrial equipment (trucks, excavator, etc.) and cars with choices for wheeled vehicles (all-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, etc.) or tracked vehicles:
|Preset Name||Transmission Type||Wheels||Tracks|
|Car FWD (Manual)||manual||4||--|
|Flexible Track Torque-Divider Transmission (Tank)||divider||--||flexible|
|Hydrostatic Transmission Track (Excavator)||hydrostatic||--||rigid|
|Track Torque-Divider Transmission (Bulldozer)||divider||--||rigid|
|Trailer 2 Axles||--||4||--|
|Trailer 3 axles||--||6||--|
|Truck 2 axles||automatic||4||--|
|Truck 3 axles||automatic||6||--|
- Vortex provides Vehicle samples which you can acquire by downloading and installing the Vortex Samples 2019a installer package from the CM Labs Account Page (https://www.cm-labs.com/account).
- See Also
- Building Assemblies from a 3D Model (importing 3D vehicle models)
- Building Parts from a 3D Model (creating parts for wheels and chassis)
- Creating a New VHL Interface (creating external controllers)
- Adding Extensions (connecting external controllers)
Vortex® Studio 2019a by CM Labs | Last update: 10:05 AM, 5/29/2019 — Release 2019.0.0.60 | © CM Labs Simulations Inc.