Crawler cranes provide high mobility on difficult terrain and are used in many industries to perform very challenging and technically complex lifts.
They are among the highest lift capacity cranes in the industry, with lifting heights of 200 meters or more, and are required to perform a large variety of tasks ranging from installation industrial equipment to lifting operations on infrastructure projects and construction sites.
Operation requires the ability to cope with highly varied operations and worksite conditions.
By methodically working through the Crawler Crane training module exercises, trainees acquire valuable experience and important operational information that prepares them for—and complements—learning on a real crawler crane:
- Learning about the operations of a crawler crane on city construction sites as well as for wind turbine erection
- Understanding the operation of a crawler crane, including slewing, boom operation, and hoisting
- Requirements for good eyesight and depth perception, from the perspective of the crawler crane cab
- Travelling with a crawler crane
- Understanding the effects of wind and weather conditions on crane operations
- The use of hand and foot controls as well as crane start-up procedures and configuration
- Handling of many load types, ranging from sewer pipes and steel erection to large lifts such as wind turbine components
- Use of crawler cranes for pile driving, clamming, and drag line operations
- Understanding load charts and crane boom and part-of-line configuration
- Understanding the use of hand signals and working as part of a lift team
- Using the load-moment indicator (LMI) on a crawler crane
- Safe lift practices near power lines
Crawler Crane Training Exercises
The Crawler Crane training module features progressive learning exercises designed to gradually build student skill and confidence:
Learn how to efficiently swing, control, and stop the hook at specified locations.
Learn how to efficiently raise and lower the boom, while controlling and stopping the hook at specified locations.
Hooking & Raising
Learn how to smoothly hook and raise objects, and move them to specified locations.
Learn how to carefully and efficiently move heavy blocks from one location on a construction site to another.
Learn how to carefully and efficiently unload heavy blocks from a flat-bed truck.
Unloading Close to Power Lines
Learn how to carefully and efficiently move a load of heavy blocks, in close proximity to both a chain-link fence and power lines.
Learn how to carefully and efficiently hook and connect a number of heavy utility pipes of various shapes and sizes.
Learn how to carefully and efficiently hook steel beams and trusses and move them into place.
Learn how to carefully and efficiently hook steel beams and move them around a construction site.
Practise hook placement by precisely moving the hook into and out of a number of cages distributed around the construction site.
Crawler Crane Control Kit
The Crawler Crane training module is bundled with a control kit that includes five joysticks (swing/boom, hoist, and travel), a throttle pedal, and buttons for Engine Start/Stop and Emergency Stop (E-Stop).
Learn more about our crane simulators.